Saturday, March 1, 2014

MY RED BRICK HOUSE

The first four years of my life were spent in a little red brick house.
I don't remember much about that house, but I do remember a few things.

I remember standing in front of our little TV, dancing to Shania Twain and 98˚ with my sister.

Just so you can get the mental image, we were both in dress-up. She was "Anastasia-Mulan" and I was just myself. I would establish a pivot foot and then bounce up and down to the beat while spinning in a circle.
Unfortunately I still dance the same way…

Another thing I specifically remember was a dream.

It's weird how some dreams, you don't forget. We were in the mall and in the middle where all the kiosks are, there were about five car washes lined up and cars were just slowly driving through the mall, getting car washes! I remember being so fascinated. It was obviously a dream I'll never forget.
I remember waking up from the car wash dream and seeing a little tiny mouse right in front of my face staring right at me. It scared the !@$% out of me! But I didn't scream. I squeezed my eyes so tight, I'm surprised I can see today. And about 5 seconds later, I opened them and the mouse was gone.
You're probably saying "Cool story bro. Now go make me a sandwich." Well, you know what! These memories are me. With all that I am, I wish I could go back in time and relive them. These were the times I was truly truly happy. Me and my curly locks. Me and my little red brick house.


Since then, my family has driven past that house and it's sad. There are no flowers. There are brown patches in the once-green grass. The blinds that I used to stare out of are shut tightly. There are no little kids on slipping slides. There are no balloons lining the fence for anybody's birthday. There is no life.
Now, I'm not saying I'm the life of the party, but I'm the life of the party. And this little red brick house-which once held the daily party, whether it was a dance party or a tea party-has no life.

I guess I have to bring life somewhere else. I guess I can do that right here. I guess I can. I guess.

4 comments:

  1. Old houses are sad. You captured it. You're the life of the party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Me and my little redbrick house." I wish I could crawl back into the past, too. I really like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using dreams and memories in one post by tying them together with bricks. I liked this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It's weird how some dreams, you don't forget". So true. I had a dream from when I was, like six..it was about a ghost in the washing machine. I will never ever forget it.

    ReplyDelete